Saturday, March 7, 2009

Checking In and Misc Rambling

I worked on "Queen and Assassin" this week. I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, and I didn't meet my goals... but I did get words down, so I'm relatively content.


Words written this week = 705
Total words on Q&A = 25,783

I admit to being just a tad worried -- I'm fairly close to the end, maybe another 15,000 words or so? And I want this story to be 65k or more. 25 + 15 does not equal 65, no matter how I do the math. Does the story have another 25k in it that I don't see? Are there legitimate scenes that could be added that contribute to the story and aren't just filler? Can I beef up what's already there?

There are a few things I need to happen earlier in the story in places I've already written: I need to name the dulin (and I'm on the fence about this... the dulin is known as a pretty scary and vicious predator, so do I name him something silly like "Fluffy" just for grins, or do I name him something that reflects what he is like "Terminator"?) and I need my heroine's brother to teach her a few things in regards to her psychic gift.

So, now, I've done the unthinkable -- I've gone back to the beginning to fill in the places I need filled in. I know, I know, in a real "wrimo" you don't go back. Ever. But I'm not really editing as much as I'm writing scenes out of order. I'm making the story better ("bigger, stronger, better than before") and hopefully at least a little longer.

And then, I need to brainstorm a few additional, meaty scenes. 65,000 words... here I come.

5 comments:

groovyoldlady said...

Does it HAVE to be 65,000? I have written short stories according to a word count requirement, but it would never occur to me to do so for a novel.

Marianne Arkins said...

It has to be 65k if I want to see it in print... otherwise, no.

But, I'd really like to see it in print...

Sarita Leone said...

Love the collage. I've never taken the time to do that but I enjoy seeing them, and wondering how everything ties together. Nice job.

Can you throw in an extra roadblock? I've just decided this week to add an addled old woman to the story. I think she'll add tension, as well as give an extra scene or two to the story.

I know you'll come up with something good! Way to go on making this story come to life. :)

Ceri Hebert said...

Stop making me want to work on my fantasy!!! Really, Marianne, you're too inspiring for my own good.

I need to make a new collage for the story I'm working on now, but since reformatting my computer I no longer have the necessary programs. :(

Marianne Arkins said...

Sarita, yep --that's what I'm thinking. I have a feeling the hero might be conscripted into the enemy's army. We'll see what happens when he goes into the beseiged city...

Ceri, send me your pictures and I'll make you up a collage. NP. They're easy-peasy once you have the photos.