Saturday, January 3, 2009

2361 Words

Not as many words as yesterday, but no complaints. I didn't start writing until later this evening. At first it was like pulling teeth. I finally picked up steam around 11 pm. Thank goodness because I feared I might only have a couple hundred words because things were going so slow.



I'm really struggling to turn off my internal editor. I spoke on the telephone with my critique partner, Virginia Kantra, this morning, and she had a couple really good suggestions about intensifying the conflict. But instead of going back and making the changes in Chapter One as I normally would do, I wrote them on my notepad and continued forward with the story. I do not want to go back at all until I reach the end.

At least that's the plan. We'll see how well I execute it!

Goodnight!

8 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

That's an awesome count! Much better than I did yesterday (Friday).

I think I've gotten pretty good at not editing while I write unless there's something I absolutely need to change in the story and have to go back to do it. During these challenges I have my internal editor bound and gagged and thrown in the trunk of my car. Can't hear her scream that way. :)

Dru said...

You're doing great with your word count. WTG!!

Marianne Arkins said...

Woo Hoo! Great job -- and congrats on resisting the urge to edit. That's what any "WriMo" is about.

edeevee said...

Another impressive day!

Charity Tahmaseb said...

But hey, you did it! I'm struggling with the internal editor as well. But I having the feeling we all are.

Melissa McClone said...

Thanks!

Yeah, the internal editor definitely needs to be bound and gagged for the next month. I'm really resisting the temptation to even go back and reread. I know I'll want to edit because I keep thinking what I should have done. I have a feeling my notepad is going to be full of things I want to do once I'm finished with JaNoWriMo.

Keri Mikulski said...

Great stuff. :)

Internal editors - Argh...

Jen said...

I'm trying not to go back at all, either. Just plowing forward until this draft is done. It's a little scary, but it's also forcing me in some new directions.