Saturday, January 3, 2009

slow and steady wins the race--right?

Plugging along. I know I have a great story, and I have all the research anyone could hope for--probably too much. I'm in awe of all of you who have put collages together. I'm afraid if I got started doing that I would never get back to my writing.

My big problem is I'm trying to write this by the seat of my pants. While I know others who do this, I really need some structure. I know the big picture, but I don't know the different avenues I need to travel down. I keep trying to do my synopsis each day--then tell myself how bad it is and hit delete!

I listened to a Vanessa Grant mp3 last night, and I'm trying to take her advice and just focus on the "big conflict," but since I'm writing thriller instead of romance, I'm still having difficulty keeping it down to "just the facts, ma'am."

Sigh... It will get better, I know. At least I'm getting my outside work done and turned in, and still getting at least 500 good words written on my project each day. The synopsis will come. The synopsis will come.

Yes, I know I probably should have completed the synopsis before I started JaNo. Sigh...

3 comments:

Keri Mikulski said...

I wish I needed more structure, then revisions wouldn't be so daunting sometimes. Good luck with the synopsis. :)

Jen said...

I found a similar thing tonight when I tried to explain my story line to my mother. I'm also writing this in a linear manner, which I never do. I haven't gotten my writing in for the day, so I might start jumping scenes tonight.

Dru said...

Good luck with your synopsis and I know you can do it.