Monday, January 5, 2009

Better late than never

Today was our family's Christmas Eve celebration. It had been postponed on the 24th due to snow and on the 30th due to sickness so I shouldn't have been surprised when it started snowing this afternoon. Luckily everyone had made it to my house, but as we drove to Portland to have our annual family dinner at the Rhinelander, the snow seemed to pick up. By the time we were on the way home, everything was covered in white and we needed chains.

Needless to say I got a very late start writing. I spent the morning cleaning and talking on the phone to a guy who went to a rival high school of mine and who I had a huge crush on back then though he had no idea who I was. I found him on Facebook and he just happens to have worked where I'm setting my JaNoWriMo novel. In case you're curious, it's the Balkans. This is the second time Facebook has come through for me with expert research help!

After that phone call I couldn't wait to finally have time to write. Of course I had to wait 9 hours to finally get on my iBook, but the result was 2206 words. I'll be honest. I really wanted to start over at the beginning after learning some things this morning, but I didn't! I just made notes and kept moving forward. I'm pretty proud at my self-discipline over that. Usually I'm not that good! Here's my total word count:



Hope you had a great Sunday! Except for the teeth gritting drive home in the snow, mine couldn't have been better!

8 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I have to admit to not even thinking of using Facebook for that. Hmmm....

Glad you had a good night and made it home safely!

Ceri Hebert said...

I rarely go to my Facebook or MySpace, but what a good idea. I'll have to consider that.

Dru said...

great showing on your word count. Have a good writing session today.

Melissa McClone said...

I never thought of using Facebook for that, either. It just sort of happened. Like for my most recent book, I was sending messages back and forth with a college friend. She was catching me up on what she'd been doing the last twenty odd years and I found out she'd been in television. And then yesterday, I had no idea whether he'd worked in the Balkans, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask and he had! So I love how FB has opened up a bunch of research possibilities.

Amy said...

WTG, Melissa!

Jen said...

That will be interesting to integrate the new facts later on. I am going to have to do this big time, as I won't really have research time until later in the week. Glad your dinner turned out alright!

Keri Mikulski said...

Wow.. Great work amid all the celebration. Impressive. :)

edeevee said...

Great progress -- even on such a busy day!